Is it safe to install a television antenna by myself?
Any work outdoors on the façade and especially on your rooftop of your home has safety issues.
- Working in high places: Whether your antenna will be installed on your roof, chimney, or even on the side of your house with an external wall mounting, most of the work will likely be done high off the ground. The consequences of a fall with this type of work are extremely serious.
- The substructure or surface on which you’ll be working: Ladders, roof trusses, roof tiles on a pitched roof are all difficult surfaces on which to work – even for professionals.
- Nearby structures and obstacles: Antennas come in a wide range of shapes and sizes – all of which are awkward to handle and install. This makes almost anything that happens to be in the vicinity of where you’ll be working a potential safety issue: overhanging trees, skylights, and even gutters can be cause for calamity. Experienced installation professionals are better at identifying and working around these obstacles.
- Cables: Cables of any description present tripping and tangling hazards. When it comes to power cables, however, tripping is the least of your worries. Just brushing against a power cable with any of the large metal objects you’ll be brandishing could result in electrocution.
- Experience: There really is no substitute for experience, and not just in relation to the quality of work, but also how likely you are to make it through the installation unscathed. Experienced installation professionals will be better prepared to deal with any unforeseen complications.
In addition to the many safety hazards that are present during an installation job, improper installation can also cause damage to your antenna or your roof. Keep in mind:
- High winds can rip the antenna off of improperly secured mounts.
- Water can get into your home if the antenna is improperly installed.
- Poor reception can also result if the installation isn’t performed by a professional.
Even minor mistakes can lead to a host of problems, including damage to your property through leaking roofs, loose mounting, or improper grounding.
What are the biggest benefits to hiring a professional to install my television antenna?
There are many benefits to hiring the professionals at WIREONE to install your television antenna. These are just a few of them:
- The antenna will be installed at the best location: Our professional electricians know the best point at which to install your antenna for optimum height and reception in relation to the broadcast towers.
- The antenna and mast will be secured correctly: Antennas are perpetually battered by the elements, and our team knows the best way for mounting the antenna. We’ve been doing this work in the Midwest for more than a decade.
- The amount of damage to existing structures will be minimal: Our professionals also know how to mount brackets, drill into walls, cut into roof tiles, install roof flashing, seal entry points created for wiring, and many other tasks. This means there’ll be less risk of future complications caused by issues such as leaking roofs.
- You’ll be covered by insurance: If at any point in the future you suffer damage to your home or equipment due to an electrical storm or other cause, you may find your insurance claim rejected if your antenna was improperly installed. Using a professional reduces this risk.
- WIREONE’s Guaranty: WIREONE also guarantees all of their work and parts for five years. That means that you can rest assured that the job will be done right and that you won’t have the extra cost and hassle of trying to repair a shoddy job.